noetic flatulence

Friday, December 22, 2006

Stephen King on Recovery

I'm reading the Dark Tower series right now, and am at the beginning of the third volume. As I was reading, this paragraph hit me like a ton of bricks:

From The Waste Lands by Stephen King, p.25,

He knew the guilty feelings were stupid and pointless, be he also knew he felt more comfortable doing this work when Roland and Susannah were out of camp. Old habits, it seemed, sometimes died hard. Beating heroin was child's play compared to beating your childhood.

It is amazing how our childhood stays with us, and all the bad memories haunt us. I didn't even have a bad childhood--my parents weren't addicts and they weren't abusive. The worst thing was that we had to lie to our grandmother all the time about my mom working outside of the home. My parents were terrified of my grandmother's words and judgement so they hid the fact that my mom worked. I would have to say that that fear has been transferred to me. My grandmother has been dead for many years, but that secrecy and fear is very much alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home