noetic flatulence

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Calendar

This weekend is (Western) Easter. If there was one thing I could change about Orthodoxy, I would change the calendar. If it was up to me, we would adopt the Gregorian calendar. It could be there are more important things to change, but for me, it's the one that troubles me the most. If I lived in Greece or Russia, I wouldn't care as much about the issue, but I live in the West, and I am the only one in my family (parents, wife, kids) who is Orthodox, and it is a PITA (not bread, pain in the @$$). This Sunday the rest of the country will be celebrating Easter, and we won't celebrate until next weekend (the 23rd). My kids (14 & 9) ask me why we don't have Easter at the same time and I don't have a good answer except that my church uses a backwards calendar that ignores the sun, moon, and stars that God put there to mark the time. Instead, we have solar tables that says the vernal equinox occurs on April 3rd when you can look in the sky and see it on March 21. Instead, we have lunar tables that say the full moon occurs next week and not tonight (13th). Aaahh... I'm in a pissy mood...forget I said anything.

1 Comments:

  • I have to say I agree with you on this one , too, Joe.

    I'm more than a bit to the traditionalist side on most things , but the calendar issue is one of the things that we could (should?) be willing to change, for the sake of unity (and taking in account the many "mixed" families where some are Orthodox and some are Catholic or Protestant) . Like Wayne said , "the church in each nation should correspond to the national observance" . Sure, why not ?
    Nothing essential to our Faith is lost . No one else (Catholic or Protestant) is going back to the Julian Calendar, so why beat a dead horse ?

    By Blogger The Ghost of Herbert Becker, at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home